NaBloPoMo 2011

Photobucket

Friday, March 30, 2012

Basic 8 Frustrations

After lessons at The Other Rink, on Thursday night I left feeling really frustrated. Some of my frustration might have been blood sugar related, but mostly it was skating related.

I am really struggling with the last few Basic 8 elements; the mazurka jump and the 1 foot spin.

Somehow I skipped right over the beginning 1 foot spin in Basic 5, so I was starting from scratching learning it for Basic 8.  I've been working on it from a pivot, to a 2 foot spin, then lift my foot; but I either, drop my hip (and subsequently put my foot down) or rise too far past the ball of my foot and onto my toe pick.

By the time the adult group lesson started, I was on the verge of tears. I spun until I was dizzy and only had 1 or 2 spins that were passing standard.

The skating school director was watching, so she stepped in an suggested I try a different entry. So I worked on the scratch spin entry. I started on a tight small RFO edge (I spin CW) keeping the free foot behind me. As my skating foot starts to turn in (almost a 3-turn), I bring my free foot in and pull my arms in.

Like this, but LFO to LFI

It took a few tries to get comfortable with the sharp RFO edge, then a few tries to bring the foot in and spin (I practiced this as a 2-foot spin to begin with). I was able to do the 1-foot spin this way and get 2 revolutions ( I need 3 to pass) so I think I will practice it this way in addition to practicing it from the pivot.

I didn't work on the Mazurka in the adult group lesson, because I worked on it for nearly the whole Basic 8 lesson. I have the set up for the jump and a pretty strong LBO edge, the actual jump is where I struggle. I complete the LFI 3-turn, pick with my R foot and pivot and then stop, instead of kicking through and up. When I do manage to jump hop, it's with a bent knee, so it doesn't look like a mazurka.

It's a difficult jump to practice off ice, so I need to devote a lot of time on ice to practicing it. I need to pass this jump since it is the pre-cursor to the Toe Loop.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there!
    It's your adult skater friend Tracy. Sounds like you are making great progress! I have not been skating in weeks due to an injury. I am so bummed to not be able to practice :(
    Anyway, here is the link to those padded shorts I was telling you about. I ordered a size "large" but she can custom make them to fit.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-LINING-PADDED-FIGURE-SKATING-SHORTS-PROTECTION-ADULT-SMALL-BLACK-/110892793457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1b9be71&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_832

    Anyway, good luck! Hope everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tracy,

    Thank you for the link, I am definitely needing a pair of those shorts. That stinks that you got injured, did it happen on ice? I hope you recover quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not on the ice, but because of the ice :) My back was feeling weird for a while and then all of the sudden I woke up and couldn't get up. Weeks later, my back is feeling better, but my left leg is killing me and is stopping me from doing anything beyond just doing easy skating. The perils of being an adult I guess :)

      Delete