NaBloPoMo 2011

Photobucket

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Power Skating = Working Out

I guess I didn't really understand what I was signing up for when I chose Power Skating as my elective class at the Other Rink. I've been in the class for two weeks now, and I am certain I've discovered no less than 10 new muscles.

Class typically begins with F/B swizzles (this helps everyone "find" their edges, apparently). This week we did a stroking exercise, again fairly basic, nothing too intense. But then, comes the crossover marathon.

There is no other way to describe it. BIG circle, skating fast and maintaining proper edges and arm position for 3-5 minutes each direction. No joke, this elevates my heart rate the same way running on a treadmill would. By the time we do F crossovers in each direction, I am huffing and puffing like the big bad wolf, while all the little 5 year olds are staring at me as if I am having an asthma attack or something. Then we do  it backwards!
Image "stolen" from Honnen Ice Rink,  not mine. 

I am more comfortable with B crossovers than F, but trying to do them in a BIG circle, with the correct position, weight transfer and edges while avoiding 10 or more other skaters doing the same thing is HARD! Maybe I should rethink my desire to try synchro?
Senior Ice'Kateers, from Anaheim Ice.


I guess there is a good reason it's called power skating. 


No comments:

Post a Comment